Friday, July 5, 2013

As I Promised....Here's A Recipe

My mother worked in our hometown post office.  Since our hometown contained only about 3,000 people, almost all of them knew my mother.  One of her coworkers was Mattie Saylors, a substitute mail carrier.  (I never did get the P.O. hierarchy; Mama worked full-time for years as a substitute clerk before she was promoted to clerk.)  Anyway... Mattie Saylors gave my mother this recipe:



Mattie Saylors's Fool-Proof Pound Cake

3 cups sugar
2 sticks margarine (I guess you could use butter, but why tinker with perfection?)
1 heaping tbsp Crisco
5 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour tube pan or Bundt pan.

Cream sugar and shortenings.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Add vanilla.  Combine flour, salt, and baking powder and add to batter alternately with milk, ending with flour.  Bake for about 50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 20 minutes.  Turn out onto cake platter.

This is a wonderfully tasty pound cake.  I hope you try it and enjoy it.

Now, I may have to go bake a pound cake.....

2 comments:

maru said...

dear... tell me.. how much is 2 stick of margarine 1 POUND, 250 g, .im located out US..please

maru said...

Dear.. im located out US.. PLEASE TELL ME how much i 2 stick of margarine?? half pound, 250 g? tks in advance