Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Caffeine






This used to be one of my bad habits.  Then Richard read an article about how colas can contribute to osteoporosis.  I'm getting older and I don't want to have osteoporosis.  So I decided I had to quit drinking Diet Coke.  I have tried cutting down on it before but that never worked out, so I had to quit cold turkey.  As Gretchen Rubin, on her Happiness Project blog, has said, you can be either a moderator or an abstainer.  Moderation only works in some situations, but for me and my Diet Coke addiction, I needed to become an abstainer.  It's been about a month since I quit the stuff.  So far, so good.  There are some meals that I still think would be tastier with a Diet Coke rather than water, but I have yet to fall off the wagon. 

I really didn't want to give up caffeine, but I failed to establish a Diet-Coke-free caffeine habit.  I keep reading that coffee has some health benefits, but I find drinking hot drinks in the morning to be a bit strange. 

Today at work I mentioned to co-worker Nick that I was in dire need of some caffeine.  Ever-helpful person that he is, he said, "I could make a Starbuck's run."  I immediately thought of their Iced Mocha Latte, but said, "No, that's all right," and went back to my office.  Before I got through the door, that Iced Mocha Latte thought floated rather insistently through my head again.  So I grabbed a ten-dollar bill and sent Nick off to Starbuck's with instructions to also buy himself something.  He got me my latte -- grande -- and I swear to god, it was just what I needed.  My brain perked up happily, and I was able to concentrate on what I was doing even better than if I had had a Diet Coke. 

Tomorrow I plan to leave early for work and stop by Starbuck's on the way and pick up my Iced Mocha Latte.  (What I really need to do is learn to make a reasonable facsimile of said latte, but until I do, Starbuck's is it.)



I'm sorry I haven't been blogging lately.  I really am over losing my kitty.  Well, not over it, but at least I'm used to his not being around.  I miss his habits occasionally.  We have adopted another kitty.  Her name is Billie and she is a dedicated outdoor cat. She was employed as a mouser by the family that lived two doors down from us, but for some damned reason they moved off and just left her!  Richard, my soft-hearted hubby, started feeding her.  Then she got to where she'd let us pet her.  Then we took her to the vet for a check-up.  That was relatively painless, and didn't seem too traumatic for Billie.  As the vet said, she seemed pretty mellow.  When we got her home, we let her out of the carrier inside the house.  After keeping her inside overnight, we realized that she was unhappy there, so she's now living back outside.  Richard bought a little cat bed and put it on the porch where we feed her, and she sleeps there every night.  She knows when it's mealtime and if she's not on the porch, you only have to call her once and she comes running. 

When a loved one, even a pet, dies and leaves a hole in your heart, something or someone comes along and partially fills up that hole.  Billie has done that for me with the loss of Dashiell.  She's a sweet kitty.  I wish I had a picture of her to show you. 

1 comment:

Bridget said...

HOORAY you are back! I'm so glad.

I'm fortunate because I seldom drink soft drinks of any kind. My downfall, though, is sweet stuff. I'm doing better, and in this case, I'm definitely a moderator.

You'll never get over losing Dashiell, you'll just eventually get used to it. Billie will help, and Dashiell would likely approve, as I'm sure he feels that your family is missing something if a feline isn't part of it!

Welcome back, I'm so glad you are here! Give Billie a pat from me.